(15 July 2022) Today, the Labour Law Reform Coalition (LLRC), a coalition of 58 trade unions and NGOs, submitted three memorandums to the Ministry of Human Resources in Putrajaya. Mr Elvis from Bahagian Khidmat Pengurusan MOHR is receiving the memorandums on behalf of the Minister’s office.
Key issue of the memorandum on Trade Union Amendments Bill
- We support the implementation of freedom of association for trade unions, including removal of the division of union in accordance with trade, industry and occupation.
- We strongly against the inclusion of the schedule 4 that assume trade union as a security threat that could launch war against Yang di-Pertuan Agong, detrimental to democracy, involving in terrorism and organized crimes.
- We stress that the 4th schedule in the TU amendments bill is a knife hanging over the head of the trade union movement, it must be dropped immediately.
Key issue of the memorandum on Sarawak and Sabah Labour Ordinances (submitted on behalf of our colleagues from LLRC & MTUC Sarawak and Sabah)
- The amendments of the two labour ordinances should be accelerated and table at the federal parliament for approval as soon as possible. This must be done before the dissolution of the parliament.
- After the passing of Employment Act amendments, workers in peninsular will enjoy 45 working hours per week, 98 days maternity leave and 7 day paternity leave. But Workers in Sabah and Sarawak still need to work 48 hours, the maternity leave remains 60 days, there is no paternity leave.
Labour Law Reform Coalition
*The full memorandums can be downloaded here: